South-East Queensland is at the forefront of an active HEMA movement Australia-wide, with strong relationships also with major international HEMA figures. This enables us to participate in local, interstate and international workshops and competitions, such as:
- February — Summer Sword Clash (Adelaide SA)
- March — The Ides of March: Sabre, Backsword, & Broadsword Tournament (Melbourne VIC)
- March, cancelled — Sydney Super Series, longsword & sabre (Sydney NSW)
- April, postoned — Festival of the Sword (Melbourne VIC)
- May, cancelled— War in the West (Perth WA)
- June, cancelled — Australian Western Martial Arts Convention (AWMAC) (Sydney NSW)
- June —Sabre and Rapier (Brisbane QLD)
- July —400 Years Tournament (Melbourne VIC)
- July, on hold in 2020 —Sword Fight (Gold Coast QLD)
- August, cancelled —Crown of the Hill (Brisbane QLD)
- August/September —Swordplay (Brisbane QLD)
- September —World Broadsword Championship (Sydney NSW)
- October— Oktoberfecht (Melbourne VIC)
- October— Carranza Cup (Brisbane QLD). BSIS is proud to run this event.
As details of these events are released each year links to many of them can be found on the Australian Historical Fencing League circuit listing.
SEQ fencers have competed in the Swedish annual event called Swordfish, held since 2006. This is one of the biggest HEMA tournaments in the world and is generally considered to be the “world cup of HEMA”.
Sean Reichman v. Ghindi Wauchope